Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Night For Lactose Lovers....

Tonight a dollar could buy a lot of pleasure...Linda and I went down to Baskin-Robbins for the scoop night promo. It was busy but not as busy as I thought it would be. They were only allowing 10 people in the store at a time and there were another 10 probably ahead of us in line so we only had to wait just a few minutes before we got inside the store. When I looked through the windows at the kids scooping inside, I only saw two of them and thought "Oh my, why didn't they schedule more people to work on a night like this". But when we got up to the counter another young lady appeared from out back (must have been on break) and waited on us. I got a waffle bowl in a cup with Raspberry chip, pralines and cream and some sort of coffee flavored ice cream with nuts in it for my three scoops. There were signs on the doors that you were limited to just 3 scoops per customer(like we could eat any more than that). Linda picked out 3 flavors of some sort and we paid $2.03 for the whole shooting match. Such a deal!

The fact that it only cost around .99 for each of us reminded me of something that happened to me many years ago when I was traveling in Canada. We had stopped at a motel to check their room rate and after looking at the room, we asked about the free breakfast they advertised. The clerk was an Asian man and proceeded to give us a lecture on "cheap breakfasts". He said, "You no fill em up on 99 cent breakfast....not like my breakfast. Not 99 cent where you no fill em up". Apparently a competitor was giving him a run for his money with a .99 breakfast and he didn't like that. He got a little worked up over it...
But for our 99 cent it sure did "fill em up"....I was stuffed. They weren't tiny scoops of ice cream like I had envisioned but good sized ones. We let the boys lick the bowls when we were done. They were grateful for the little bit that they got. Based on the turnout at this store I bet that a lot of money was raised for the firemen tonight. What a fun time ! Who will be next ? We've had the free breakfast at Denny's and the cheap ice cream at Baskin-Robbins....maybe free donuts at Krispy Kreme... :)

No comments: