Saturday, May 22, 2010


End of a tiring week....Today was our "Picnic in the Park" event and it was a very hectic day. Linda and I had to get the patio furniture cleaned up this morning and then get the grill out and wheel it around to the front of the building. The folding legs on the underside of this Coleman grill are in bad was bent when we got it out in the morning and the other side bent on the return trip so the whole set-up is "toast" at this point. The grill itself isn't bad (although it seems to be pretty old)but it was never meant to be wheeled so dang far to an event.

We cooked the hamburgers and hotdogs on our grill for the folks who decided to sit out on the patio (extra tables and chairs were set up outside so we wound up with seating for about 35 out there). The chef also prepared barbequed chicken, baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad, chips and ice cream and watermelon for dessert. We were all ready to go at 12:30 and had our folks fed in about 10 minutes time. After checking to see if anyone wanted seconds, we took our burgers and dogs inside to the serving line there so everyone could enjoy true "picnic fare", instead of burgers and dogs off the flat top grill from the kitchen. We had many compliments from folks who had our grilled items that they were very moist and really yummy !

After lunch, there was a male singer that performed for an hour. He was pretty good...the residents really enjoyed him and some of them kicked up their heels and had some fun dancing to his tunes.

At 8:00 this morning our yard sale started so that involved a lot of set-up yesterday and tear down today after the picnic. All of the proceeds went to the Muscular Dystrophy Assoc.There were also a number of really great prizes that folks could buy raffle tickets for and that money also went to MDA. After Linda and I helped gather up all the leftover yard sale items, we had to get the room ready for a birthday party and dance that is going on tonight from 6 - 9. Needless to say, we are exhausted tonight. Our day ended around 5 p.m. but it felt like we'd been run over by a herd of we were walking to our room I'm sure we looked like some of our residents going down the hall.

Sunday and Monday plans at this point. Stay tuned...

No comments: