Thursday, May 20, 2010

Another Tiring Day...

The last two days were spent in the kitchen, prepping and doing dishes. Hard work! I've found muscles I haven't used in a while. Today was equally hard...we worked with the housekeepers cleaning the residents rooms. Reminded me of my college days when I had to do a stint, in Best Western's housekeeping dept., for my hospitality degree. Similar structured system of cleaning that lets us get a studio apt cleaned in 20 min, a one bedroom apt.in 30 minutes and a two bedroom apt.in 40 minutes. These skills can be utilized in everyday life, cleaning on our own. The four ladies that are the housekeepers are also the breakfast and lunch servers in the dining room. They have a non-stop day of work...five days a week ! Tomorrow Linda and I will help them again. There are a couple of rooms that are vacant and need to be "deep cleaned" to get them ready for new residents. I started one of the rooms today, scrubbing the kitchenette area. Tomorrow Linda and I will work together to clean several residents rooms and then deep clean one vacant room. The draperies are really neat that they use in the rooms. They are washed, on the gentle cycle, for 10 minutes and then they are hung while they are damp. They dry and look wonderful again....voila'. The draperies get done once a year as well as shampooing the carpets in each of the resident's rooms. Everything is maintained so immaculately here....

Our big spring event is this Saturday. Linda and I will be working on the grill, cooking burgers and hotdogs. There will be games like horseshoes, etc. and the indoor yard sale where proceeds will benefit MDA. There will be tours of the facility going on and lots of fun things to do. Anyone that tours a Holiday facility anytime before June 30 can sign up to win "Rent for Life"....

When we finish this week, we'll be half way done with our training...yippee !!

No comments: