Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On Tour….

PA260069 The last few weeks I’ve felt like a rock star (minus the seven figure income) with the “tour” schedule we’ve had visiting family and friends. No roadies but driving Ozzie (what we’ve named the Outlaw) sure does feel like driving a bus. We left Chambersburg this morning after having spent several days at Barry and Carol’s place. Barry has a great house on a cul-de-sac, which was perfect for parking the rig. We stopped by Carol’s workplace so Linda could get a final hug from her sister on our way out of town. As most of you probably know, Chambersburg is in the heart of Amish country. I thought I knew quite a bit about Amish dishes (being that I’m part Pennsylvania Dutch and part German) but I heard about two dishes this weekend that weren’t familiar at all. Hog Maw was the special at one place we stopped at the other night. Can’t even describe what comes to mind when that phrase rolls off my tongue. It’s pig stomach stuffed with potatoes, sausage and cabbage. Sounds yummy, eh ? Not so much ! Or how about slippery pot pie ? Apparently all the pot pie I’ve ever had was the sticky kind and not the “slippery” one cause it has a whole separate category here in Chambersburg. The slippery variety has noodles in it….THAT I might have been brave enough to try if I needed to.

Our rock star tour continues…we arrived in Vienna, VA around 11 and parked our rig at a Wal-Mart that just opened two Road less traveled...weeks ago. Easy to  get into and out of….asked for permission to leave it overnight and after going through several employees, got the A-ok to leave it there overnight. Linda’s sister-in-law picked us up and brought us back to their house. We’re having a great visit and are enjoying the birds at the feeder off of the deck.

1 comment:

slower4 said...

Hog Maw is sooooo delicious! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. If I buy the ingredients will you make it when you come Momma? Love you and can't wait to see you!