Saturday, December 12, 2009

Saturday...

Warmer today...and the sun was out. Rain moving in tonight and supposed to keep up all day on Sunday. Temps the next couple of days will be in the 40's which will be a welcomed change from the arctic chill we've been under. Work was busy today...the phone rang non-stop for Linda and I finally got a chance to get the inside cleaning caught up (in the morning) before people started moving in and out throughout the day. Again today, as has happened several times now in the past week....I went to the second floor to discover discarded items just outside the elevator. Mind you...they are piled under the "No Dumping" sign. This put me in a really foul mood first thing and I was bound and determined to figure out who it was. Not only is it a pain in the butt to haul this stuff to the dumpster but the item this person left the other day was dang heavy. I had to drag it onto the elevator and it took two of us, with a mighty heave ho, to get it into the dumpster. It was a binding machine of some sort. And again today there was another binding sort of gizmo and a table sitting there when I stepped off the elevator. I was ticked....Well, since I hadn't had time to dust mop the hallway yet, I followed the trail of little paper punch outs that must have fallen out of this machine as he dragged it to its final resting spot. Aha, I got a unit number (as there was a pile of paper thingies outside the door of a unit. I went to the office and we looked to see if that tenant had entered the facility last night. Sure enough, he had. Each time someone punches their code into our gate access system, there is a log of who comes in and who leaves. We then looked at the other two days where we had been left "presents" (as Linda calls them). Yep, there it was on our gate report. The same person had been there all three times. Linda picked up the phone and left a message on their voicemail that they had till noon (it was now 9 a.m) to remove the items or they'd be charged $50 per item removed. Someone showed up in pretty short order as I made my rounds to the 2nd floor to finish my task of dustmopping and found the items gone. I wasn't going to remove the trail of evidence until the guy showed up (in case he disputed it)but since he clearly turned in a guilty verdict, I finished up cleaning the floor. A little while later he calls Linda and says he was in to pick up the items but the only reason he left the ones the other night was because the elevator wasn't working. Linda told him, "Yes, it was and besides we have two elevators. She said how did you get up there (meaning to the second floor) and he said, "Oh yeah". Then he said he didn't want to take the one item out with him cause it was really heavy. "No shit", she thought. We about busted a gut trying to pick it up to put in the dumpster. Anyway, after a chastising from her, he promised to never throw anything else away in our facility. Linda and I chalked it up to good detective work....Cagney and Lacey strike again !!

1 comment:

imMovable Book Lady said...

Hey from Alamogordo. I've finally located free wifi so I'll be more regular on my blog, and reading yours. Happy holidays.