Monday, May 12, 2008

Winds of Change

The storms and wind have continued and last night we had another tornado and severe storm warnings. I worked my last shift in the grounds dept yesterday (5 a.m. - 11 a.m.) and then went to my new dept (culinary) and worked for 3 hours. Linda and I rode together to work but she wasn't done with work by the time I finished up at 3 p.m. so I went home and came back to get her when she finished at 6 p.m. I had noticed that the westbound lane of 64 was backed up, meaning that there probably was an accident so we took the back route home. As we started home, the storm hit.......heavy, heavy rain and wind. We got home and settled in for another night of nasty weather.
Today, the winds are still strong and the drizzly rain comes in waves. I have Monday and Tuesday off and will return for my first regular shift, in my new position as "Lead Supervisor" on Wednesday. The park is still only open on weekends so Wed and Thur will be spent handling incoming orders and moving stock. Teri is the other supervisor in the unit where I will work and she showed me around yesterday. Not much to it....kind of like a concession stand but with some bottled beer thrown in. You have to be "bar coded" to serve the beer so I guess that is something I'll have to be signed up for. Will get to work with my boss on Wed and Thursday so I can learn more about the organization and what they want done. She is from Poland, with a strong accent. I'm interested to learn about the hierarchy of positions within the dept so I understand what the positions are when I see them posted on the openings board. Like my position is called Lead Supervisor but it really isn't a big deal at all. I guess there are Unit supervisors, area supervisors, etc. I will learn more as time goes on. Next week there is a "Team Night" at water country....the water park. There will be a luau, games, chance to use the rides, etc. This comes just prior to us opening for the season when we'll be open everyday from May 23rd on. I picked up my ticket but Linda needs to get hers yet. Sounds like it will be a fun time !
Seems like it's taken forever for us to get to the point where we will really be open (7 days) and not just on weekends. I guess that is a sign that summer is just around the corner. I think it would be more enjoyable to start work, at BG, just before the season gets underway and not earlier than that. We are learning our tolerance for the boredom that comes with the slower seasons and our job for future years work will be to figure out when to move from one region to another (Or one job to another), as the seasons change and business increases in the new area. It is fun learning about all of this. We are already looking into jobs for this winter....More later....

No comments: