Thursday, June 12, 2014

One Week Post Surgery


I don’t have a whole lot to talk about but figured I would give everyone an update. We arrived in Mansfield, Pa on Tuesday and got a campsite at Bucktail Camping Resort. We stayed here a couple times last summer when Linda spent time with her grandkids. Linda did all the driving to get here…all 1700 miles from Aurora, CO. Although I wanted to help her do the driving, it was probably a good thing that I didn’t. I unhooked the car from the rig, while Linda checked us in, and just carrying the hitch into the garage of the rig made me get really woozie and I had to lay down so I wouldn’t faint. I get tired quickly but don’t nap cause I have a horrible time getting a good night’s sleep. The area directly under the incision, on my arm is that numb, ouchy feeling like you get when you wake up in the middle of the night and realize your foot or hand has fallen asleep. Linda and I were just talking about what might be causing it cause it’s driving me crazy. I was trying to do some stretches to see if the muscles are tight, etc. to alleviate it and then it hit us. We can see on my arm where they had to pull the skin together, where the melanoma spot was, and the skin in that area is really tight and it’s directly under there where the numbness is. Just wrapped too tight, I guess. See I knew there’d be an explanation for it. Just don’t know how to loosen it up. I think the numbness is Bucktail Campsiteeasing up….just not quick enough for me.



I can’t get over how lush and green it is here in Pennsylvania. We had gotten used to so much drought-stricken areas out west that this is such a stark contrast to all of that brown backdrop. It’s also been raining ever since we arrived so it’s getting super green and super lush. Our site is nicely shaded and has a beautiful, tall shag hickory tree towering up through the tree canopy. It’s just gorgeous and so majestic ! Boomer is having a ball exploring different parts of the campground as we go out for little walks. They are calling for more rain tomorrow but the weekend is supposed to be perfect so tomorrow night the peace and quiet we’ve experienced these last few days will be replaced with the squeals of little kids and their families. The air will be filled with the smell of campfires and camping will be in full force. Since this campground has so many rides and amenities, geared towards children, the daily rates are quite high so it is pretty quiet during the week. There are many seasonal sites here and that is what draws families to come here from Friday night to Sunday afternoon. They can leave their work behind and get away with their families for rest and relaxation.
Tomorrow it will be one week since my surgery. The doctor said that it would be 5-10 work days before the pathology report would come back on whether the melanoma has spread to my lymph nodes. We’re hoping that we will hear sooner, rather than later and that we get the “all clear” message to resume life as we know it. Until then, I’m trying to “hang loose”, rest and get my strength back. I thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes. Keep ‘em coming…..the biggest speed bump is yet to come.

2 comments:

imMovable Book Lady said...

Yeah, if you don't get that skin stretched out, it'll always be tight. Try vitamin E oil (buy capsules and puncture them). And keep pulling gently. My friend didn't do enough so now she has trouble raising her arm.

I'm looking for the name of an RV park we stayed at in Harrisonburg PA last fall -- it was a pleasant surprise. It may be something like East Harrisonburg RV Park & Storage.

imMovable Book Lady said...

And, of course, it's Harrisburg (not Harrisonburg). My bad.