Saturday, November 17, 2012

Annie Git Yer Gun.....

The other day I went into a gun shop to call on them for an ad. It's a small place with a display area with fishing stuff, hunting items and display cases for hand guns and wall space for rifles. I couldn't believe how busy it was in there. I wandered around and looked at some interesting items such as deer urine in a bottle, some weird ass fishing lures, machetes and finally got a chance to talk to one of the business owners. He apologized for the long wait and said it had been really busy ever since the election. As my mind raced through every conceivable possibility of why that would be and came up empty handed, I asked, "What would that have to do with it?" He said that everyone is worried what Obama will do about gun control so they are buying guns now. I really hope my face didn't show the "Are you kidding me?" feeling that was going on inside my brain.

Ok folks, let's think this through. Having grown up in a family of hunters (myself included), my dad used the same 30/30 every year to hunt with that he'd always used (flip up peep sight and all) except when he gave it to me to use and then he'd use the shotgun. If you already own guns to hunt for small or big game, do you expect them to "break" in the near future that you need to stock up because you think that if gun control legislation passes all guns are going away ? From what I've ever heard of any possible new legislation, it was affecting assault rifles and AK-47 type guns. If you feel that your gun collection isn't complete without one of these types of guns, then by all means rush out and get one. But assault rifles and ones that can fire a gazillion rounds a minute are not necessary to hunt deer or big game with. If you really want a challenge, buy a machete like the one I looked at in the store and jump out of a tree to kill your next deer...Rambo style. Perhaps people feel they need to build their own militia or something. Who knows...

It was one of the most ludicrous things I had ever heard but apparently the NRA is drumming up lots of business for gun shop owners across America cause there were bunches of men in there buying guns. They might not have a job or be able to put food on the table (they will now when they shoot a whole flock of pheasants out of the air with a single shot) but they can spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on guns. Sigh.....Just two more weeks here and then we go to the land of sunshine and vacation.

No comments: