Monday, October 8, 2007

Hi, I'm Henry...


My name is Henry and I'm the guide dog for Jo. I have a birthday coming up and I’ll be 4 years old. I came from a place in Utica, NY where they gave me special training to help people who can’t see. I am their eyes for them.

Jo needs my help getting around and I make sure she stays safe and out of harm's way. When I go to a new place it takes me a while to get used to where she wants to go but I catch on pretty well. And because I have special talents, I cost lots of money to train and get ready to help a new owner, but thanks to donations from other generous people, I didn't cost anything for Jo to get me. I'm not really sure what money is but I think it's something that would buy lots of special treats for me.
During meal time, my job is to make sure the carpet stays clean under her table so I'm always very vigilant in case someone should drop some of their food on the floor. I wouldn't want it getting in her way so I make sure I clear it up right away. When there isn't any food dropping, sometimes I sneak in a nap, but don't tell Jo. She thinks I'm always on the ball and ready to go. I'm really big so when I want Jo to stop and not go any further, I just turn my body in front of her to stop her. She knows that this means to stop.
I like it when people pet me but Jo has a sign on me that says that "I’m working" so they shouldn't do that. When I'm out of my harness though, I love to play. Well, gotta go...Jo needs me to take her back to the rig.

No comments: