Wednesday, September 5, 2007

We're here at the Care Center

We arrived to Livingston on Saturday and got a site in the park. On Monday we moved over to the Care part of the facility and got set up on our site. It is so humid and hot here ! It takes your breath away and you get so beat from it very quickly. People here tell us we'll get used to it and our blood will thin the longer we stay. Well either my blood needs to get thin real soon or fall temps need to set in cause it's REALLY uncomfortable. You stay inside all the time because you sweat to death if you go outside.
We've gone through our orientation, TB test and on-call training. Tuesday were our first shifts. Linda B had supper dish duty and I had pot and pan sink detail. It brought back memories for me since that is the very first job I had, 30 years ago, for $1 an hour. Was fun and got to serve dinner to the residents...whom are so very sweet. We love chatting with them and hearing their stories of living on the road. Today I have to take some people to appts so I've tried to get familiar with the Livingston area (in a hurry) so I can find my way around. We will leave a little early since I'm still not sure where I'm going...lol...will be interesting. Then I come back and have to sweep, mop and clean the dining area after dinner. Linda is on cook detail this morning and can't remember her job tonight. They are very short handed right now so we will have 2-3 shifts each day to help out. There are only 3 volunteers right now and usually there are 10-12. Friday night we will be on-call so we have been given a phone to have in our RV in case a resident needs help in the middle of the night...they can call us for help. Alot to learn but we are having fun.
We have had a thunder storm the last two days in late afternoon...gets real black out and then pours for 20 minutes or so and then stops. No break in humidity during that time though...
Well, that is all for now...If anyone has questions for us, post them in the comments and we'll do our best to answer them..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heard I missed your phone call the other day. Glad that you are there and I am sure you will find working with the residents to be so rewarding. Enjoy reading what you are doing.Thanks for sharing with us.