Friday, July 25, 2008

Quick Trip

Linda had a drastic change made to her work schedule here at the campground that has cut her hours from 32 down to 10. When this played out last week, it became apparent that she and I would have Tuesday and Wednesday off this week so we started to figure out what we'd do with two whole days off. This hasn't happened in many months so we wanted to make the best use of our time.
We decided to visit both of our families so we left Monday night after work and went as far as Linda's brother's house in Vienna, VA. We had a nice time there...spent the evening and had breakfast there before heading out for Chambersburg, PA....where Linda spent her childhood and where some of her relatives still live. We arrived at noon and had lunch with her brother,sister and niece. A short visit but a nice one ! We got back on the road and headed for my mom's house, in Mansfield, PA. Last weekend, after deciding that we'd go visit family I had called my sister and brother to see if they could get together with us, at my mom's house. My mom's birthday is tomorrow....she'll be 83 so it was good timing for our trip north. We wanted it to be a surprise for my mom, as she'd never suspect us coming to see her. It had been arranged that they would arrive at mom's house around 5:30 and then we'd get there between 5:30 and 6:00. Our timing worked out well, as we arrived about 5:45. She was surprised, to say the least ! We stayed at mom's house Tuesday night and had breakfast with her the next morning before hitting the road again. We went to Williamsport and Linda visited with her son, daughter in law and grandkids while I visited with folks at Penn College, where I worked for 18 years. It was great to see everyone and chat for a bit.
Upon leaving Williamsport, for the trip home, we ran into rain and in some areas it was pretty heavy. Down through the Washington, DC area it was raining really hard and we had to slow way down, put on the four way flashers and take our time. Once we got past D.C. we ran out of the rain, the sun came out and the rest of the trip went smoothly. We arrived home, safe and sound around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday night after two days of visiting with family. We wanted to get this trip in as we probably won't get home again until Christmas, due to our next job taking us to Kansas from October through Christmas. Quality time spent with all during our quick trip.

No comments: