Friday, June 8, 2007

Relationships....

What is it that matters most in our lives and makes life worth living ? It’s relationships….our connection to others that develops us as human beings and broadens our souls experience of the world. It’s not the day to day living or working at our jobs that we were put here for.
We had our going away party this weekend for friends, family and co-workers. People with whom we’ve developed a relationship with, whether it be over a period of a few months or many years. It meant a lot to us that these friends and family would share this transition with us and come to the party.
One of the persons that I was most fearful to tell of our new adventure was my 81 year old mother. I know how she is about “stability” and that this is a major life change for me. When I did finally muster up the courage to tell her, she was so cool about it and said, “I’ve always allowed you kids to make your own decisions about jobs and figured if you ever fell flat on your faces, that you’d pull yourself up and figure it out.” Wow….that was great wisdom. But what else should I have expected from my mom….she has been my mentor and role model my whole life. My mom came to our party, as did many of my family members. A friend we’ve known for a short time drove 4 hours to spend the weekend with us and we had a great time.
In spite of a nomad existence, we’ve heard that the friendships we’ll make on the road are those of substance and ones that last. Will the “friends” that we’re leaving behind stay in touch or in a matter of a few months, will they forget about us ? Relationships are important to Linda and I so we will work to maintain those relationships but it’s a two way street. If those “connections” are not nurtured, they will not survive.

No comments: