Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Liquid Gold (a.k.a.... we miss the things we've lost)

Funny thing about wintering in an RV is how precious water becomes to you. When the cold winds blow, it could be there one minute and gone the next. Tis the situation in our case. Water was working fine Saturday when we left to go to my mom's but alas upon returning around 6:00 p.m., it was gone...a few drips from the faucet were all we were to get until today (Tuesday). Even with a heat tape on the incoming water hose and wound up and around the hand pump type device (sort of resembled my Christmas wrapping job), we still could not beat old man winter from injecting his icy, piercing fingers into the system somehow. Luckily we had filled our fresh water holding tank after the last episode of "frozen water" (I hate sequels !) and all we had to do was flip the water pump on and we were off and running.....Now 64 gallons of fresh water do not go very far when you value daily showers and such. And when you don't know at what point your cup will runneth over once again, you tend to parcel out the "Liquid Gold".
As I was driving home, over my lunch break, I just had a warm feeling all over, when I saw that sun beating down and heard that we were at a balmy 34 degrees outside. I felt good things were in store for us and I was right. The water had thawed and life was good again. We owe it all to my trusty heating pad that we used to wrap around the pump housing to keep it warm and toasty and hopefully break loose the icy jam. Took a couple days but with the help of the sun, it worked. Tonight we'll replace my heating pad with another heat tape and insulation wrap and we're hoping that this will be the last we have to deal with this. The heating pad will go back to being my ache and pain remedy for sore muscles. The lesson here is: Adversity breeds innovation !!

1 comment:

BC said...

boo winter. come on, spring!